Ann Voskamp, a New York Times bestselling author, homeschool mom of six, and speaker writes poignantly about “living fully right where you are” in her book One Thousand Gifts.
I haven’t finished her book yet, but I have been prompted to apply these principles to my life as I am soon to become an empty-nested widow. The following points to ponder are directly from a FREE printable download found at her website called 10 Points of Joyful Parenting.
Whether you are a parent or not, I think you will be challenged to read more and meditate upon her advice of practicing gratefulness in all circumstances.
1. Today, I will make our home a house of prayer. I will pray at set times. And I will invite our children to come move into an interior space that lives with God.
2. Today, I will transfigure all things into beauty, and I will refuse to see anything else.
3. Today, I will not have any emergencies. There are no emergencies! Only amateurs hurry.
4. Today, when stress mounts, I pray to dismount it with gratitude. My stress management plan will be intervention with verbal thanks. I can only feel one feeling at a time, and I choose to give thanks at all times. Fight feeling with feeling!
5. Today, I will pray to speak words that are only STRONG words, words that make these children feel strong. Grace words. Grace is the only non-toxic air. All other words I breathe are death words.
6. Today, I will pray to be consistently consistent. I will create safe rhythms that our children can find security in. I will create daily ceremonies because everyday we are CELEBRATING the gift of now!
7. Today, the moment when I am most repelled by a child’s behavior, that is my sign to draw the very closest to that child.
8. Today, I will hug each of my children as many times as I serve them meals — because children’s hearts feed on touch. I’ll look for as many opportunities to touch my children today as possible — the taller they are, the more so.
9. Today, my priorities will be all Things Unseen.
10. Today, I will laugh! And I will let the little children laugh! I will create a culture of JOY!
If you click over to her website, you will find this free printable download and links to her points printed in turquoise with more explanation and encouragement.
My prayer is that you will take time to create joy by meditating on things unseen.